I am sending my herald ahead of you;
He will prepare your way.
(3) A voice cries in the wilderness,
‘Prepare the way for the Lord;
clear a straight path for him.’
(16) God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, that everyone who has faith in him may not perish but have eternal life.
(17) It was not to judge the world that God sent his Son into the world, but that through him the world might be saved.
(18) No one who puts his faith in him comes under judgement; but the unbeliever has already been judged because he has not put his trust in God’s only Son.
(19) This is the judgement: the light has come into the world, but people preferred darkness to light because their deeds were evil.
(20) Wrongdoers hate the light and avoid it, for fear their misdeeds should be exposed.
(21) Those who live by the truth come to the light so that it may be clearly seen that God is in all they do.
Question: Are you doomed if you forsake the atoning sacrifice of Jesus Christ?
Jesus is the light in the darkness.
No one who puts their faith in Christ comes under judgement. However, the unbeliever is under judgement because s/he does not place faith in Christ’s atoning sacrifice. The first five books of the bible comprising the Torah contain 613* laws that a reverent Jew must follow in order to be judged righteous. Reverent Jews atone for their sins on Yom Kippur (Day of Atonement) which involves fasting and other related rituals under the Law of Moses. It is said that the best time for a Jew to die is at the conclusion of Yom Kippur as this is when the soul is most pure.
Christians are not bound by such restrictive dogma and are pure of soul simply by confessing the truth of Jesus as both Messiah and as an atoning sacrifice. All a Christian need do is turn aside from the crooked path and walk the straight path with the Lord. Years of Torah study are not required for salvation as simple faith in the sacrifice of Christ is sufficient for the initial salvation of a follower of Jesus Christ.
Answer: A faithful Christian is never doomed.
Let us have faith in the sacrifice of Jesus Christ to usher in our eventual resurrection to eternal life and inheritance of this world. Let us pray for the healing of faith in our morally decaying Christian sphere and for a resurrection of the strength of the soldiers of Jesus Christ.
* A Pomegranate contains 613 seeds.
(Bible verses are from The Revised English Bible with the Apocrypha)